Kitchen Aid recipes & bread flour

Marcy Michelle Morgan <mmmorgan@tenet.edu>
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 02:50:51 -0500 (CDT)
v096.n050.18
Someone asked about making the ABM recipes in a Kitchen Aid and baking in
the oven.  I just make sure that each recipe has at least 3 cups of
flour.  My 8 year old son made some Italian Parmesan bread in the Kitchen
Aid the other day (thanks Reggie for the recipe), and it turned out
beautifully.  Of course there was only one piece left by the time it had
cooled!  We bake the loaves at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the
bread.

Bread flour was asked about as well.  The protein content of bread flour
is higher than "regular" flour.  The gluten is what captures the gas that
is released by the yeast (please forgive me if this is not entirely
correct - it's my elementary understanding of bread science), so the more
gluten the better.  That's the general idea, I'm sure someone will
explain better than I have.

Happy baking,

Marcy
mmmorgan@tenet.edu