Welbilt ABM

Marcy Michelle Morgan <mmmorgan@tenet.edu>
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 02:52:22 -0500 (CDT)
v096.n050.19
Hello Nancy -

I have the older Welbilt, but maybe I can help.  I've been making most of
our bread for about 5 years now.  I started out by hand, then Kitchen
Aid, then the Welbilt.  I still do all three.  My kids (8 and under) can
make bread and all sorts of other things with the bread machine.  Right
now, though, it's loaned out to a friend, you know, try-before-you-buy.

"Nancy S. Hsu" <nancyh@ohana.com>
> I received a Welbilt ABM-100-4 last Christmas as a gift.  I haven't been
> having too much success with it.  The only bread I've made with it is the
> regular white bread.  Does anyone also have this model that can help me with
> a few questions?
>
> 2)  THere were no instruction books that came with the machine.  The only
> book I received is the recipe book.  There is a knob on the right side of
> the machine for setting L or D...what does that stand for?

This is probably Light or Dark.  Do you want your crust light or dark?

> 3)  The breads I've made only lasts about 2 days before it goes completed
> solid!!  Is this how it suppose to be for all machines?

Homemade breads don't last very long - especially if they have egg in
them.  At least, that's my experience.

Ok, here's some things that I do, please overlook things you already
know.  I've just worked some things out that work well for me.

Number one thing to do is to find a recipe that works well for you, and
that you really like.  Use that as your model.  From that recipe you can
get a general formula - ie ratio of flour to yeast, sugar, salt and
moisture.  Those are the basics.  In my machine this is what I shoot for
- about 1/2 tsp yeast per cup of flour with my machine handling 2 1/2 to
3 cups of flour.  2 tablespoons of sugar or sweetener, 3/4 tsp salt, and
about 1 cup of liquid (2 tbsp oil, 2/3 c water, and 1 egg).

The reason I have my "formula" worked out is so that I won't waste my
time with recipes that just won't work.  I've had plenty that I tried and
then flopped.  After looking at the recipe - it must have been a misprint
or something (magazines).

Once you get your formula, then any recipe you find can be adapted for
your machine.  Mastercook and other computer recipe programs make it
simple to scale recipes to the size you need.

If you don't want to bother, you can always get some of Donna Rathmell
German's Bread Machine Cookbooks, surely a nearby library would have
them.  She lists sizes (how many cups of flour your machine can mix, knead
and bake).  Maybe someone can look up the Welbilt 100 for you - mine are
with my machine.

In case you didn't know, your machine can handle kneading and mixing more
dough than it can cook.  That is, you can have the machine mix and knead
a larger loaf than it can bake, and you can shape it and bake it in the
oven.  this works great for braids and rolls, etc.

Here's a recipe that's too big to bake in your machine, but it
will mix and knead it.  It's a beautiful braid.

Company Coming Onion Braid
2 1/2 tsp yeast
4 c bread flour
1 c milk, warmed in micro
1/4 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c butter
1/4 c water
1 egg

Put in machine on dough cycle.

When the machine beeps, take the dough out and roll out 12 x 18 rectangle.
Cut dough into 3 (4" wide) strips.  Mix filling:  1 minced clove of
garlic, 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp poppy seeds, and 1/4 c butter,
melted.  Carefully spoon this mixture along the middle of the the strips.
Fold over long side, pinch together.  Place the three strips on
greased baking sheet about an inch or so apart.  Carefully braid from the
center loosely out to each end.  Press the ends together and tuck under.
Cover; let rise until double.  Before baking, brush with 1 egg yolk mixed
with 1 tsp cold water and then sprinkle with poppy seeds.  Bake at 350 for
30 to 35 minutes.

Here's my recipe for my everyday 1# loaf:

1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 to 1 1/2 c bread flour
2 tbs sugar
3/4 tsp salt
2 tbs oil or butter
2/3 c water
1 egg

Sometimes I add sesame seeds at the beep to make the bread a complete....
protein (?)

Hope this helps.  Let me know if I can help further.

Marcy
mmmorgan@tenet.edu