recipe: yeast corn bread

LIR119@delphi.com
Mon, 01 Jul 1996 18:03:22 -0500 (EST)
v096.n024.5
For Larry Z. who requested cornbread in the abm, here is a recipe I think
you and others would enjoy. You should have a nice tall loaf and
medium coarse
crumb texture with fairly moist consistency.It sliced fairly well.
It tasted best warm and it made great toast the next day. I had several
other abm cornbreads in my collection. Most recipes require egg, oil etc to
achieve some kind of conditioning as otherwise the bread would be to dry and
crumbly from the cornmeal.

Remember that cornmeal will give a slighly crunchy texture, nutty taste etc
and that cornmeal yeast based breads
will not be similar to " cake " types of quickbread cornbread.
Cornmeal also contains no gluten and thus will
not contribute to any rising properties of bread.

              CORNMEAL YEAST BREAD
              1 1/2 LB LOAF

3 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 c yellow cornmeal
1 ts salt
3 tbs sugar
3 tbs shortening ( I used crisco, could be softened butter or marg )
1 cup milk
1/8 cup water
1 lg egg
2 1/2 tsp dry yeast

follow manufactures instructions for the breadmaker. Use basic bread cycle.
Store cooled bread, tightly wrapped.

Source: From Bread In Half the time, C 1991

Joan,"Flour Power"

`[1;37;40mRainbow V 1.18.3 for Delphi - Registered