Portuguese Sweet Bread

Linda Kosidlo <linda@mc.com>
Tue, 14 May 96 14:35:33 EDT
v096.n013.12
Hi -

Since I've gotten so many great recipes from this list I thought
I would post one of my favorites for Portuguese sweet bread.

Portuguese Sweet Bread

6 1/4 to 6 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 packages active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, cut up
4 eggs

In a large mixer bowl, combine 3 cups flour and the yeast. Heat milk,
sugar, butter or margarine, and 1 teaspoon salt until warm (115 to 120 degrees).
 Add to flour mixture. Add eggs. Beat at low speed of electric mixer for
1/2 minute, scraping bowl. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Stir
 in as much of the remaining flour as you can with a spoon.
Turn out onto a floured surface.

Knead in enought remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is
smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes).

Shape into a ball and place in a greased bowl; turn. Cover and let rise
till double. Punch down, divide in half. Let rest 10 minutes. Shape into
loaves and place in two greased 8x4x2-inch loaf pans.

Cover and let rise till double. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes;
cover with foil after 25 minutes. Remove from pans; cool.

Makes 2.

Linda K. in MA
linda@mc.com