crust,salt in

peterj@connect.reach.net (Peter Fiander)
Fri, 12 Apr 1996 18:55:00 -0400
v096.n005.19
The cheapest way I know to get a good crust with a chewy- at the end of the
cooking cycle turn the oven off and leave the bread in it, but open the oven
door. Let sit for 5 min. then remove loaves and let cool on wire rack until
cool to touch. An egg white glaze is another technique use either water or
milk as a wash. Milk gives a darker glaze than water. On baguettes the
french use a water based glaze, but on brioche they use a milk based glaze.

salt in
the traditional bread of Tuscany has no salt in it. The Duke of Tuscany in
the 1700's declared a tax on salt, conseqentlythe bakers stopped using it
and the traditional loaf- Pane Tuscano- continues to this day to be made
without salt. It is a marvelously crunchy chewy tasty bread that makes my
freinds understand that bread is the staff of life, We serve it brushed with
olive oil, sprinkled with fresh chopped rosemary, grilled for a few mniutes,
add chevre and a glass of hearty red wine. Lunch!