Re: bread-bakers-digest V6 #82

Kent Campbell <kencam@pobox.com>
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 08:18:41 -0600
v006.n084.8
Just worked out a Rye Bread recipe that I will share.  First of all, though,
after MUCH frustration in trying to perfect a Rye Bread recipe, I have
determined that the flour is the most important thing.  I started using
Hodgson Mills whole grain, and it is much to coursely ground.  I ended up
with bricks and door stoppers.  It was HORRIBLE.  I am now using a different
brand, I can't think of the name now, but they also make the whole wheat
pastry flour I buy.  It is much finer ground and I am sure must have a
higher gluten content.

I make all of my bread by hand, as I can't convince myself to have another
appliance on the kitchen counter.

Well, here is the recipe:

1 package fast rising yeast
1 1/2 cups fine ground rye flour
3 1/2 to 4 cups white bread flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup skim milk and 1 cup tap water, combined
1/4 cup warm (100 degree) water
1 4 oz jar pureed prunes baby food

Dissolve the yeast in the water with the sugar and allow to proof.

Mix the prunes with the combined milk and water.

Combine the flours in a bowl and stir well.

In a separate bowl, start with the yeast and milk/prune mixture, and stir
well.  Add three cups of flour mixture, and stir till well mixed.  Add 2
cups of flour mixture on top and work in with your hands.  You may want to
put some flour directly on your hands and wring them like you are washing
them with the flour, this will help remove the goo from your fingers.  Work
in as much of the flour mixture as you can.

Knead on a floured board for 5 to 7 minutes, until it is elastic.

Place in a lightly sprayed bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a towel, and
let rise till double. 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on the temp of your kitchen!

Punch down, reshape, and place in a 3 quart casserole dish that is sprayed
and coated with cornmeal.

Bake at 375 for 40 to 45 minutes.

Cover with a towel for about 30 minutes after removing from oven, this will
help make the crust soft.

You may want to add caraway, anise, or fennel seeds to this recipe.  I used
caraway, and liked it a lot.

Kent Campbell
kencam@pobox.com