Need pointer on whole-wheat bread

Alan Deikman <alan@znyx.com>
Fri, 15 Mar 96 19:59:46 -0800
v006.n083.10
This is my first post here, so here goes.  I have been reading since
Digest #60 or so, and have been looking for pointers on how to make
a good loaf of whole wheat bread.  I have been to a number of
restaurants that make their own whole-wheat loaves which are wonderfully
light, with a crispy crust and flavorful interior.  You don't even
need butter.

White breads I can do.  But every time I try for, say 50-100% whole
wheat loaf the results have been less than satisfactory.

What I get I call "Utility-B grade State Bread."  This is durable
maximum density loaf issued by government for the comrade people's
nutrition and efficient bowel movement.  Surplus good for insulation
and erosion fill.

Any suggestions?

  Alan Deikman, ZNYX Corporation
  alan@znyx.com