bread-bakers-digest V6 #80

BreadMagician@prodigy.com ( LINDA REHBERG)
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 23:46:09 -0800
v006.n083.2
To David:
  As you noticed in our book BREAD MACHINE MAGIC, we do prefer the
Red Star active dry yeast for most of our recipes.  The instant,
rapid rise type yeast works well, too, especially for the rapid bake
breads or in machines that bake loaves in under 3 hours (it's a
faster acting, shorter life type of yeast....does not work well at
all for breads requiring more than 2 risings such as French and
sourdough breads or breads that need long rising times).  The Red
Star Bread Machine yeast is the best of all, in my opinion, but
harder to find and too expensive for the amount of bread we bake each
week.  We can buy the R.S. active dry in 2 lb bulk packages at our
Price Club for $4.75 which is less than the 7 oz jar of bread machine
yeast in our market.  The Bread Machine Yeast has an added
conditioner and an emulsifier that helps produce taller loaves of
bread.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

To Rose:

The box of Arrowhead Vital Wheat (pure) gluten recommends 1 1/2 tsp
per cup of flour.  We find that amount works for white breads (which
rarely need it) and we double that amount for whole grain breads.

Thanks, Bluemoon for sharing your mother's cornbread recipe.  Sounds
delicious!

Linda Rehberg