Home Bread-Bakers v006.n068.15

Lebanese bread recipe

Crystalle Haynes <crystall@po.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 13:40:28 -0800 (PST)
Kartini wanted a Lebanese bread recipe.  This was sent to me recently; I
have not tried it.

1 package or cake of yeast
1 tablespoon of sugar
6 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups lukewarm water
1/3 cup milk

dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. let stand 5-10 mins.
place flour and salt in large bowl making a depression in
 the center.Combine milk, remaining water and dissolved yeast;pour
into depression. Begin mixingflour with liquid making sure
all batter on sides of bowl is worked into dough.
Knead until a smooth dough results and the sides of the bowl
is clean. (hands are occasionally dipped into more water while
kneading dough to give a smooth, elastic finish)

Cover with towel and let rise in a warm place until it doubles in size
(2-4 hours). Grab orange size balls from the edge of dough
and smooth balls. Cover and let rise again on cloth for 30
mins. form into 1/4" thick circles. cover and let rise again on cloth for 30

 Heat oven to 475degrees f. Place dough directly on racks in oven.
As soon as the dough rises into a mound, 2-5 minutes, place under
broiler for a few second until lightly browned. cool. this freezes
well. Yeilds 7-9 loaves.
NOTE: many elegant recipes are made with this recipe.

     PS, the name of this bread is Khubz (Arabi

Crystalle & the Kanga-Man

Berkeley, California (USA)