re: Clear Flour

amy@kurtzman.com (Amy Kurtzman)
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 14:05:10 -0900
v006.n067.19
Steve and Marilyn Kerman <sdkerman@hevanet.com> write:

> I have been baking Jewish Rye Bread for a few weeks using the recipe in
> "Secrets of a Jewish Baker" by George Greenstein. The results have been
> wonderful.
> The recipe calls for "Clear Flour or First Clear" sometimes called "common
> flour".
<... snip>
> Does anyone have any idea on an alternative or a source for reasonable
> quantities.

I've got that book and think it's great too. One tip he gave that was quite
interesting to me is about filling the KitchenAid mixer with the right
amount of dough to get the best kneading performance from it. For each
recipe he gives three different versions with specific amounts of
ingredients to use for different mixing methods (by hand, food processor,
or KitchenAid).

I have seen Clear Flour offered in the King Arthur Flour Baker's Catalogue.
I don't have a current catalog, but in one from last year, it was sold in a
5 lb. sack. Their phone number is 1-800-827-6836.