Re: bread-bakers-digest V6 #57

Marta Martin <marta@citynet.net>
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:19:15 -0500
v006.n058.31
Regarding Michael Greenberg's question on Sourdough Starter.  He wrote that
no matter how long he leaves the starter out to proof, he cannot develop the
strong sourdough flavor he seeks.  I am no expert, but it has been my
experience that it is not so much how long the starter is left out to proof,
but how often it is used and fed that determines the level of sour taste.
The more you use your starter and replenish it, the better the flavor gets.
If you use the starter every 4 to 7 days, or at least take out a cup of the
starter  and then replenish if you are not going to bake bread, this ought
to get you on your way.
Hope this helps.

Marta Martin
marta@citynet.net

Marta Martin-(marta@citynet.net)

Inside me there is a thin woman dying to get out.  I ate her for lunch.
Hallmark Cards

I can barf like a dog.  Toren, 3 years old

Shake your hips and hope for the best.  Camille, age 9