Home Bread-Bakers v006.n049.15

Re: Milk in microwave

fearp@VAX.CS.HSCSYR.EDU (Peter Fear)
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 09:46:02 -0500

The microwave ovens use radiowaves to heat.  There is no radioactivity
used!  Nothing becomes radioactive.  As soon as the the power goes off all
of the radiowaves are gone (absorbed by the food).

The only thing about microwaving milk is with baby bottles.  Baby's milk
should not be heated in a microwave because there are hot spots formed.
The outside may feel just warm but the inside may be hot enough to cause
burns in the mouth.  Obviously with yeast you need to check for this.  The
milk should be stirred before you check the temperature.


>From: Marianne Hu <hu@satchmo.virtualprototypes.ca>
>Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 12:24:54 -0500 (EST)
>Subject: Milk in microwave
>Bess, Ellen et al,
>I once read that it's not advisable to microwave milk in the microwave.
>Something about retaining some radioactivity!?  Has anyone else heard
>anything about this?
>[|] Marianne Hu                                                         [|]
>[|] International Pre-Sales - Europe            Virtual Prototypes Inc. [|]
>[|] E: hu@virtualprototypes.ca                  4700 de la Savane, #300 [|]
>[|] V: +1-514-341-3VPI (3874) X264              Montreal, Quebec        [|]
>[|] F: +1-514-341-8018                          Canada   H4P 1T7        [|]

Peter Fear
Radiation Safety Office
SUNY Health Science Center
750 E. Adams St.
Syracuse, NY 13210