Trillium Coarse Grained Breads

Joel.Ehrlich@salata.com (Joel Ehrlich)
24 Sep 95 12:25:09 -0700
v006.n039.12
 Responding to: Cdluria@aol.com

 ow> Our "Trillium" produces quite a coarse-grained bread -- no matter what
 ow> recipes we seem to use. Our basic cycle takes  about 2 hours 35
 ow> minutes. The texture is not unpleasant, and the bread rises to its full
 ow> size, as it is supposed to, but once in a while it would be nice to
 ow> produce a finer grained bread.

Shortening is called that because it causes the strands of gluten to
shorten, producing a finer grained bread.

If you want to turn a coarse grained bread into a fine grained bread,
add shortening: butter (also adds a buttery taste) or oil (corn oil adds
the least taste).

Try 1 or 2 tablespoons of corn oil as a test. You may have to reduce the
amount of other liquid as well. I have used as much as 6 tablespoons of
corn oil on a 1 1/2 lb loaf (very, very fine grained bread).

Note that the addition of shortening often also affects the nature of
the crust.

Joel