Home Bread-Bakers v006.n038.15

mackey.1@osu.edu (Lynda Mackey) (by way of reggie@jeff-and-reggie.com (Reggie))
Sat, 30 Sep 1995 00:12:48 -0700
Subject: Re: bread-bakers-digest V6 #37
Sender: owner-bread-bakers@lists.best.com

>From: Cdluria@aol.com
>Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 13:45:32 -0400
>Subject: BREADMAN/Trillium
>This is addressed mainly to owners of the BREADMAN's "Trillium" model -- or
>anyone else who can shed words of wisdom on the subject.
>Our "Trillium" produces quite a coarse-grained bread -- no matter what
>recipes we seem to use. Our basic cycle takes  about 2 hours 35 minutes. The
>texture is not unpleasant, and the bread rises to its full size, as it is
>supposed to, but once in a while it would be nice to produce a finer grained
>When we have tried our recipes in a Hitachi macine (the basic cycle is about
>3 1/2 hours), the product is finer -- which leads me to suspect that the
>difference is due to a longer kneading cycle. We have tried employing our
>so-called 'European' setting -- which runs about 3 1/2 hours), but I believe
>that only introduces an additional rising period.
>My question is two-fold: a) Do other 'Trillium' owners find that their
>machines, too, produce a coarse-grained bread -- or is there something wrong
>with our device?  b) Are there additives (gluten, lecithin, etc.) that would
>help to promote a finer-grained texture?

I don't have a Trillium, but what I do when I want finer texture is to stop
the machine and restart it after the first kneading cycle, which
effectively doubles the knead time.

Lynda Mackey
Customer Awareness Coordinator      University Technology Services
mackey.1@osu.edu                    The Ohio State University