Vegan baking

arielle@taronga.com (Stephanie da Silva)
Thu, 21 Sep 1995 10:41:46 -0500 (CDT)
v006.n037.11
First, I'd like to mention that I am not a vegan or even a vegetarian, nor
do I have any desire to start any meta-discussions.  This is in reference
to the request for vegan bread recipes.

A couple of people have responded with suggestions to use honey.  According
to information posted to rec.food.veg, honey is not vegan.  I'm not sure
about molasses, but commecially produced brown sugar is usually white
processed sugar coloured with molasses, and (many brands of) white sugar is
not vegan.  The only sweetener I can say for sure would work would be maple
syrup.  Tho the sugar in bread is not necessary, it's just there to give
the yeast a quick start.  You can leave it out and your bread won't suffer
(tho it might taste a bit more bland).

I'm having trouble digging up the hidden animal products FAQ, but it does
go into things like egg replacers (most of the commercial ones are based
on egg whites), margarine (often contains dairy solids) and lecithin.
I'll keep looking.

As for vegan bread, the basic recipe I use is: 6 cups flour, 2 cups water,
1 package yeast, 1 tablespoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar.  Leave out the
sugar, and it's vegan.