Re: Gluten-free help

kmdavis@netcom.com (Karen M. Davis)
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 20:26:02 -0700 (PDT)
v006.n031.14
Phyllis Johnpoll asks:

> [snip] more ways than one, since the person I was making it for is not only
> unable to tolerate gluten, he can't have any soy, corn, or dairy
> products. [snip]
> He says he'll buy a bread machine if we can prove to him that it'll make
> lots of different kinds of breads. Does anyone have a favourite
> gluten-free recipe to share with me? The one I made was Mock Rye, and we
> were able to handle the required substitutions (mostly for the non-fat
> dry milk) ourselves, so you don't need to play with your own recipes.
>
> My friend and I thank you in advance.

Best place to start is with Bette Hagman's books- the Gluten Free Gourmet
and More from the Gluten Free Gourmet. Most of her recipes have
workarounds for dairy, as well as being gluten-free. The second book
("More from...") has an even dozen bread recipes that are specifically
made for bread machines (no conventional directions given). Between her
two books, I've made challah (egg bread good enough to fool
wheat-eaters), pumpernickel, cinnamon raisin bread (an adaptation of the
tapioca bread recipe she has), mock rye, mock swedish rye, apple bread,
french bread (great for sandwiches!) and a few others.

If your friend must truly maintain a gluten-free lisfestyle, these books
are "must-haves" - they take the pain out, since lots of replacement
recipes are in there (incl. scones, pita bread and English muffins!)

karen

kmdavis@netcom.com   (if urgent, use faigin@aero.org - the better half)
Karen Davis of Davis and Associates (818)892-8555
	   "Pain is Mother Nature's way of telling us to slow down;
		       Death is her way of INSISTING!"