Recipe: Challah Bread

HS.Roch811sd@xerox.com
Fri, 20 May 1994 11:00:36 PDT
v005.n020.7
I made this the other night and got rave reviews on the finished
product, which looks as good as it tasted. I was a bit scared when
I saw a picture of the finished braided bread, but if I can do it,
anyone can. The recipe is from Fleischmann's bread machine cookbook.
Enjoy.  --Heather--

Challah

1 pound		Ingredients		1 1/2 pound
1/2 cup		water			3/4 cup
1			large egg		1
2 Tab.		margarine, cut up		3 Tab.
1 tsp.			salt			1 1/4 tsp.
2 cups			bread flour		3 cups
4 tsp.			sugar			2 Tab.
1 1/2 tsp.	bread machine yeast		2 tsp.
1		yolk of large egg		1
1 Tab.			water			1 Tab.

Add 1/2 cup (3/4) cup water, egg, margarine, salt, sugar, flour and yeast
to bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer. Select
dough/ manual cycle. When cycle is complete, remove dough from
machine to a lightly floured surface. If necessary, knead in enough flour
to make dough easy to handle. (For 1 1/2 pound recipe, divide dough in
half to make 2 loaves.)

For each loaf, divide dough into 2 pieces, one about 2/3 of the dough
and the other about 1/3 of the dough. Divide larger piece into 3 equal
pieces; roll into 12 inch ropes. Place ropes on greased baking sheet. Braid
by bringing left rope under center rope; lay it down. Bring right rope
under new center rope; lay it down. Repeat to end. Pinch ends to seal.
Divide remaining pieces into 3 equal pieces. Roll into 10 inch ropes; braid.
Place small braid on top of large braid. Pinch ends firmly to seal and to
secure to large braid.

Cover; let rise in warm, draft free place until almost doubled in size,
15 to 20 minutes. Lightly beat egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water; brush
over braids. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until done,
covering with foil after 15 minutes to prevent excess browning. (For
even browning when baking 2 loaves, switch positions of sheets halfway
through baking. Remove from sheet (s); cool on wire rack.

Cycle: Dough/ manual cycle