Re: QUESTION- delayed bake opt

Hugh Secker-Walker <hugh@hodain.ci.net>
Mon, 16 May 94 21:08:37 -0400
v005.n020.6
Hi Krissy,

  I returned a bread machine because every loaf I attempted on the
delayed bake option (up to 13 hours) did not rise. I had tried
each recipe on normal bake and the loaves rose perfectly, so I
suspect that the yeast got damp while it was sitting in the bread
machine, even though I had layered liquids, solids, yeast as directed.
Has anyone had success with delayed bake (if so what brand machine),
or do I have to buy a machine with a yeast dispenser?
I recently received a WestBend bread machine.  I love it!  I've used
the delayed setting (up to 13 hours too) several times with no trouble
at all, though only about 10 hours max.  My routine is to put the
(cold) water in, followed by salt and sugar which I mix around to
dissolve.  Then flour, which I push into the corners of the bucket to
prevent water from welling up.  And then I sprinkle yeast over the
top.  (I've avoided putting the salt or sugar and yeast together on
the flour, thinking that it might be bad for the yeast.)  For delayed
bake I've stuck to that most simple recipe; I prefer to be on hand for
anything more exotic.  It helps to be sure how damp your "dry" flour
is so you get the flour:water ratio correct.

The WestBend has several nice features.  One, which may be factor
(assuming your returned model was not a WestBend), is that the first
thing it does once it starts its cycle is to warm everything slightly
for 30 mins, before it even mixes.  It makes for more consistent
results since everything is at the right temp when kneading begins.

-Hugh