egg replacer; and sprouting wheat berries

Betty Kuenzel <bkuenzel@bigcat.missouri.edu>
Fri, 15 Apr 1994 14:39:36 -0500 (CDT)
v005.n015.8
Heather Strenzwilk asked about using egg substitutes in bread recipes.
I've used EN-ER-GEE (can't recall how to spell it) Egg Replacer, which is
a powdered, all natural egg substitute, you mix with water.  It's
especially handy for those small loaf recipes that call for half an egg.
Anyway, I've had good results with it.

Michael Sullivan mentioned boiling wheat berries to have "chunky things"
in wheat bread.  I just wanted to note that you can sprout wheat berries,
too, which I think is a lot of fun and tastes great.  You soak the wheat
berries overnight (or several hours) in a glass jar, then cover the jar
with cheesecloth (with a rubber band) and drain off the excess water.
Tilt the jar at a 45 degree angle (so excess water drips out) and store
in a warm, dry place.  Gently rinse and drain once or twice a day.  They
sprout quickly 2 or 3 days.  Use them when they've sprouted about 1/4
inch.  Toss them into the machine with the other ingredients.