Gooey hole

bruceb@lccsd.sd.locus.com (Bruce M. Binder)
Sun, 19 May 1991 09:03:00 GMT
v002.n012.3
Breadsters:

As many of you may have read, I was having problems with my Welbilt
Autobakery (the dome top or R2D2 unit.)  Loaves of bread I made in
the machine were coming out with a gooey, uncooked hole in the
center.  Here is a copy of the letter I sent with my machine when I
sent it to Welbilt.

 --
April 16, 1991

Welbilt Appliance, Inc.

Parts and Service Department

25 Rose Place

Garden City, New York  11040

I purchased my Welbilt Autobakery on July 17, 1990 at Price Club, a
local warehouse membership store.  I used it for a few months with
no problems.  A few months ago, I began to notice that some of the
loaves that the Autobakery made were uncooked and gooey in the
center.  In the last few months, I have been very careful to follow
the recipes and I am using recipes that worked beautifully when I
first got the machine.  The machine no longer bakes the bread all
the way through.  The uncooked spot in the loaves I have made
recently is larger than in previous loaves.  The problem seems to
be getting worse.

I would appreciate it if you could fix this problem as I enjoyed
using the machine when it was working properly.

I would like to add that I am very disappointed that you do not
have an authorized service center in San Diego.  The list that came
with my Autobakery shows three in San Diego, but none of them will
repair my machine.  I hope you are doing something to correct this
situation.

Sincerely,

Bruce M. Binder

 --

I received the machine back via UPS on May 3.  It was packed with
an invoice which says "refurbished no charge."  It looks brand new

I have made two loaves of bread in the machine since I got it
back.  I made the Cinnamon Raisin recipe from the DAK recipe book.
I never had a problem with this recipe before and it came out
fine.  I also made the Banana Wheat recipe.  This is the recipe
that used to work fine in my machine but lately always has a gooey
center.  The bread came out as gooey as ever.  If anything, it may
have even been worse.  The gooey part was about three inches
across, although the hole was only about a half inch across.

I will be calling Welbilt soon.  I will keep you all informed as I
know more.

<bruceb>
(  ,)(  \/  )(  ,)  Bruce M. Binder                   (619) 587-0511
 ) ,\ )    (  ) ,\  Locus Computing Corporation     bruceb@locus.com
(___/(_/\/\_)(___/  San Diego, California      ...!ucsd!lccsd!bruceb