Re: converting sourdough starter hydration %

Trevor Jenkins <trevor.jenkins@suneidesis.com>
Sun, 11 Aug 2013 10:28:28 +0100
v113.n030.3
On 10 Aug 2013, at 23:26, Jeff Kreitman <jeffkreitman@gmail.com> wrote:

>I need some help confirming my math on how to convert a sourdough
>starter that I normally maintain at 100% for a recipe in a different
>book based on a starter built at 145%.  If I would normally add 8
>ounces of water and 8 ounces of flour, do I now add the same 8
>ounces of flour and 11 5/8 ounces of water to make the
>conversion?  Also, can I do this conversion in a single feeding or
>do I need to feed the starter in this new ratio multiple times before baking?

My sourdough culture is refreshed in the same proportions to yours
50:50. For the single loaf I make this is 100g spelt flour to 100ml
of cold water. If I were to use this starter in a different recipe
the proportions would remain the same so 145g and 145 ml. The extra
water in your alternate recipe would make me think I was diluting the
character of the culture that has taken years to develop.

I'm something of a renegade when it comes to maintenance of my
sourdough culture; it's topped up with 75g/75ml after use, kept in
the fridge between uses, topped up with 75g/75ml when I get it out of
the fridge for the next bake, then left for 12hours to acclimatise to
room temperature before being used. The culture is also only flour
and water. The recipe I followed when I first started it did not call
for any additional ingredients; so none of the possibly whacky
suggestions some recipes call for: apples, pineapple rhubarb,
potatoes, OJ. One of my family is allergic/intolerant to the last two
so no way would I have used those. I've seen recipe that calls for
baker's yeast!! to be used to begin the culture. Thankfully my
inspirers were of the only flour and water tradition so that's all
mine was started with and what it's maintained with. In all it's
flour-and-water-only-ness it creates a loaf with a wonderful flavour.

Regards, Trevor.

<>< Re: deemed!