Converting sourdough starter hydration percentages

Diane B <dianeb@debunix.net>
Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:38:33 -0700
v113.n030.2
As far as the amount of moisture in your recipe, adjusting the
percentages by increasing the water in the starter you prepare for
the recipe should be fine; but the conditions of the
starter--hydration and temperature when it is active and while
stored, and for how long stored, and probably more things that I
don't understand--these affect the proportions & activities of the
yeasts & bacteria in the starter, and the degree of sourness in the
resulting bread (my recollection here is:  cooler/wetter/longer
storage leads to more sourness, warmer/drier/shorter storage leads to
less sourness, but I'd look it up before trusting my memory on this one).

Depending on what different result you're trying to achieve--just
playing with textural variations, or wanting to change the flavor you
get from the starter--you might need to change the hydration &
fermenting conditions for your starter, or a portion of your starter
dedicated to this different recipe, for a few refreshments in advance.

--diane in los angeles

http://debunix.net/recipes/WholeBaking.html
http://debunix.net