Pretzel Breads

"Andreas Wagner" <andreas.wagner@wanadoo.fr>
Mon, 1 Jul 2013 15:02:15 +0200
v113.n025.1
I've been following the pretzel bread discussion and I'm
wondering:  is the bread supposed to taste like a pretzel or is it
supposed to look like one?  Diane gave a good explanation of the lye
process used to achieve the dark mahogany finish and distinctive
taste on "real" pretzels.  If you're after the flavour then making a
loaf and brushing the top with lye would give you the right look on
the finished loaf, but only a little bit of each slice would have the
pretzel flavour.  So please enlighten me, I know of pretzel rolls and
regular pretzels in several different sizes in Germany, but a pretzel
loaf is a new one to me.

Happy baking,
Andreas
The inside view on life and holidays in Languedoc:
www.midihideaways.wordpress.com