Re Beginner bread

"Caroline Rumsey" <caroline@rumsey.mv.com>
Sat, 21 Apr 2012 12:38:30 -0400
v112.n016.2
Youtube is such a useful resource for anyone trying to learn a baking skill.

For bread making, perhaps the most fun are the first Mark Bittman/Jim
Lahey no-knead bread video from 2006
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU) and its followup from
2008 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LaODcYSRXU&feature=relmfu) - in
that, Mark Bittman shows "improvements" to the original recipe
(including how to speed up the rising time).  Although I have to say
that, of the two, I still prefer the original.  Mix at night, let it
rest overnight, and bake the following day.

For "classic" I'd recommend Julia Child's "Good Loaf" segment(1972):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAXbuNQ867s

She shows sandwich bread by hand and by machine in the same episode,
which is 29 minutes long - worth watching all the way through for her
comments and explanations which generalize to baking beyond just bread.

The one flaw with this program is that she doesn't explain that she
has buttered her bread pan - if you want your friend to use this
video to learn from, explain that to her.  It's also possible that
the long rising times will intimidate your friend.

There are of course, zillions of other youtube videos on bread making
- your friend might prefer one of those, but these are good places to start.

Hope this helps.

Caroline Rumsey