Re: Home ground flour

Will Waller <williamwaller@charter.net>
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 09:18:23 -0600
v112.n005.5
On 1/9/2012 9:25 AM, Julie Boylan <fortunitone@yahoo.com>
>After 10 minutes of kneading in the mixer with the dough hook, the
>dough is craggy looking. I can pull it apart easily. It is not elastic at all.

This is what happens when you develop the protein (gluten) before the
flour has had a chance to hydrate. It's a timing issue. You want
hydration first, then protein development... and is easily resolved.
Mix the flour+water gently with the hook, let it rest for 10-15
minutes, then knead.

Frankly, I'd dispense with the kneading altogether and let the
"mixed" dough rest for 10-12 hours in a cool (50 F.) space, but
that's another topic.

Will