Re: Deep Brown Bread Crust

Andy Nguyen <aqn@panix.com>
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 00:27:41 -0400 (EDT)
v110.n025.2
"Werner Gansz" <wwgansz@madriver.com> wrote:
>I've been baking deep brown crusts for several years [...]
>
>Note the color of most of the crusts, some are actually a bit burned
>by design.  Red Hen's breads are delicious; their crusts are thick,
>chewy and have a nutty sweetness from the caramelized sugars created
>by long fermentation and the deep bake.

Those loaves look good, though I can almost taste the bitterness in
the "burnt" crust!

>If your free-standing loaves don't look like these, I think you are
>missing out on a lot of flavor.

I'd say it depends on the bread I'm making.  It'd be highly boring if
everything I make look and taste the same!  Indeed, even in the pics,
I notice that only the bigger/thicker loaves are well-browned.  I am
surmising that those loaves have to be baked longer at a given
temperature for their crumb to lose enough moisture/to come up to the
desired temperature.  Thus it's unavoidable that their crust would be
more browned.  A side effect of a long bake time would obviously be a
thicker crust.

In my own baking, I have not yet figured out how to bake bigger
loaves to the proper doneness without ending up with thick
crust.  It's not that a thick crust is undesirable.  It's just that
sometimes, the long bake time required for really hefty loaves
results in a crust that is a bit too thick and hard.

>Bake them a little hotter and little longer than most recipes
>suggest.  A bit of "almost black" on the lip of the slash isn't a bad thing.

In my book, it is a bad thing _if_ it ends up tasting bitter i.e.
like carbon in burnt food.

Andy Nguyen