cinnamon rolls

fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:12:55 -0500
v109.n046.4
Some months ago there was a thread going on the list about cinnamon
rolls, begun, as I recall, by someone who wanted a recipe for great
ones. At the time I couldn't find the recipe I have, which purports
to be for the cinnamon rolls from UBC, so I didn't speak up. But I
tripped over a printout of the recipe today, so I'll send to the list
now, for everyone's enjoyment.

CHOLESTEROL WARNING! :)
CHOLESTEROL WARNING! :)
CHOLESTEROL WARNING! :)
CHOLESTEROL WARNING! :)

UBC Cinnamon Rolls

This is alleged to be the recipe for cinnamon rolls that are
made/sold at UBC (University of British Columbia) lunchrooms /
cafeterias. All I know for sure is they are to die for.

Dough
3 Cups milk
6 Tbsp butter
6 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp salt
2 envelopes instant dry yeast
2 each large eggs
9 Cups all purpose flour

Filling
1     Cup melted butter, divided
1 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
2     Tbsp cinnamon

Preparation:
-Scald milk. Must be very hot.
-Stir in butter, sugar and salt.
-In large bowl, combine milk mixture and eggs.
-Mix yeast and four to five cups of flour.
-Add flour to milk mixture and beat well for ten minutes.
-Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
-Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
    Reminder: This should be a soft dough.
-Place in well-greased bowl and roll dough over to grease top surface.
-Cover with damp cloth and let rise until double (approx. 1 hour).
-Punch down and turn out onto lightly floured surface.
-Divide dough in half.
-Roll out each piece of dough into 9x18 inch rectangle, spread with
  melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon/sugar mixture on top.
-Roll up like a jelly roll, starting at the long side.
-Cut into two-inch slides.
-Place remaining melted butter in bottom of pan, arrange slices in
pan and cover loosely with greased waxed paper.
-Let rise until double (45-60 minutes).
-Bake at 350F for 35-45 minutes.
-Remove from oven and immediately insert onto serving tray.
Makes 18 large cinnamon rolls.

NOTE: If you're on a diet, or have high cholesterol, you probably
don't want to have any of these. They have about 3/4 pound of butter
per batch (and margarine just doesn't give anything like the same
result.) But they certainly are delicious! (for extra goodness,
double the cinnamon.)

Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------