Re: Lavash crackers

Mike Avery <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
Mon, 16 Nov 2009 06:59:22 -0600
v109.n042.3
The dough was pretty firm and dry for me.

What worked for me was using a pasta roller.  You can use it to roll
out the dough into very consistent sheets.  If you roll it too thin
and it tears, fold it over and roll it out again.

A pasta roller is pretty much like a commercial sheeter scaled down
for home use and I've seen articles about bakers using sheeters to
develop dough rather than kneading.  I never tried that while I had a
sheeter, but I have seen it work when I make pasta or lavash crackers.

One of my wife's coworkers is Persian and she tells me that there is
also a lavash bread which is the same dough, only rolled much
thicker. It is soft, a bread rather than a cracker.  She maintains it
is the best bread in the world.  Sadly, the local baker that makes
the stuff doesn't make something I'd confer that label upon.

Mike

*Bake With Mike <http://www.bakewithmike.com>*
Mike Avery
Email to: mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com

A Randomly Selected Bread Saying Of The Day:
Love doesn't just sit there like a stone;
it has to be made, like bread.
remade all the time, made new.
-- Ursula K. LeGuin