RE: Gluten Free & Spelt

"Allen Cohn" <allen@cohnzone.com>
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 17:47:53 -0800
v109.n008.10
[I hope the technical geniuses among us will correct any inaccuracies
in what I write below]

First of all, no flour has gluten. Gluten is formed in dough when
water is added to flour and two of the proteins in flour, gliadin and
glutenin, bond.

Secondly, spelt *is* wheat...just an "earlier" form of it. It has
both gliadin and glutenin, just not as much gliaden. So it forms
gluten when hydrated. Perhaps this is why it works almost the same as
regular bread flour and why protein additives might bring it even
closer to wheat flour performance. (I've only experimented with it a little.)

So if someone is truly gluten intolerant, then they will have trouble
with spelt.

And if someone *says* they are gluten intolerant (many people
self-diagnose) and doesn't have trouble with spelt, then I would
think it's likely they misdiagnosed.

Allen
SHB
San Francisco