German Stollen

"Mary Flack" <mflack@cvtv.net>
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:45:29 -0600
v109.n003.13
For those still wanting a Stollen recipe.

Here is a recipe that I have used for years.  I got it from a friend
many years ago.   Hope you enjoy.  Also I found a great recipe that
is different from mine in the "Baking Sheet" magazine from King
Arthur Flour in the Dec. 2007 issue.  They sent me the issue free in
the order I received last week.  You have to request it by item no.  1998.

German Stollen
(German Fruit Bread)

3/4 cup of butter - unsalted
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp mace
Grated rind of one orange and one lemon
2 large whole eggs
1 cup warm milk
1 pkg. of reg. dry yeast plus 1 teaspoon
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup dark rum
6 cups bread flour - dived use
1 lbs mixed raisins (currents, dark and light)
1 lb candied fruitcake mix
2 cups slivered almonds
8 oz almond paste or marzipan
1 lb unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Proof the yeast in the 1/4 cup warm water with a pinch of sugar added
for 5 min.  Should look foamy.

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add the salt, nutmeg, mace,
lemon, and orange rind.  Beat well.  Add the eggs one at a
time.  Beat to combine.  Add the rum, and warm milk.  Mix. It will
look curdled and that is fine.  Add the yeast mixture and
combine.  Mix in 5 1/2 cups flour until combined.  Cover bowl and
allow dough to rest for 20-30 min.

While dough is resting, mix the raisins, candied fruit, and nuts toss
with 1/4 cup flour to coat.

Knead the dough with the remaining flour until smooth.  Now work in
the bowl of fruit/nuts.  This will take a little time.  When all is
worked in dived the dough in to 3 balls that even.  Put each in an
oiled bowl and cover with oiled plastic wrap and allow to rise over night.

When dough has risen knock down and shape in to an large oval on
parchment paper.  Take the almond paste and dived into 3 pieces and
roll in to a rope 1 inch shorter than the oval.  Put the rope of
almond paste on the oval about 1/1/2 way on the oval -longway-.  Fold
over almost half leave about 1 inch short on the top piece.  Make
sure the rope is hidden in the stollen.  Kinda press down to flatten
a little.  Place on baking pan with the paper.  Cover with oiled
plastic wrap and allow to rise until about double in size (about 4-6
hours) This dough rises very slow because of all the sugar in the dough.

Bake in preheated 325F oven for about 1 hour or until golden brown or
190F with a the thermometer.  Half way thru the baking turn the pans
and brush with the melted butter.

When finished baking brush again with the melted butter.  Allow to
cool and then cover with powered sugar(no melt).  I wrap them in
plastic wrap and then foil and freeze.

To serve defrost.  Slice about 3/4 inch thick and toast until golden
brown and spread with butter.  I serve this for breakfast of afternoon tea.

I usually start my Stollen in the late afternoon and let rise through
the night on the counter.  Then the next day I form them when I get
up and let them rise till dinner then bake after dinner.  I freeze
them wrapped in plastic wrap and then heavy duty foil.  They will
last 9 months at least in the freezer.

Order the Snow white NO MELT powder sugar from King Arthur Flour item
1307.  It work really great and stay on top with out melting and
making the top wet when you store them.  I use it to dust all baked
goods that have a dusting of power sugar on top.

I like the almond paste from Solo in the can if you can find
it.  Some people like marzipan but I like to use almond paste.  Try
both and see which you like better.  Some times I even mix them
together before I make my rope.

I have made two batches of this for the past 20 years.  Hope you
enjoy it and it works for you.

Mary Flack 2008