Re: bagels

"Mary Fisher" <mary.fisher@zetnet.co.uk>
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:42:09 +0100
v108.n013.1
"Margaret G. Cope" <mgcope@charter.net> asked:
>Where are all the bread-bakers?

I wondered that too - but I haven't contributed anything so can't complain!

I use Mike Avery's bagel recipe, the results are even better than
those I remember from the Jewish bakery I had them from in my teens.
All the commercial ones I've seen in the last few years both in my
English city of Leeds and in Washington State on visits there have
been large, light and soft - not bagels at all in my opinion. Crisp
on the outside, dense and chewy on the inside and full of flavour is
what I demand.

I have also wondered if the type of malt I use would make a
difference to the flavour, there are so many at my local organic food
shop - even rice malt! I've stuck to barley but did wonder if others
have tried alternatives.

Mary