Wicker baskets vs Willow Banneton

"Gary Van Gelder" <gvangelder@earthlink.net>
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:38:07 -0600
v107.n037.4
Bob et.al.

To either avoid or create confusion!  here are more comments on the
"Banneton" and wicker basket substitutes.

As anyone who has looked knows, there are some very nice, willow (or
some other 5/16-3/8 in diameter "reed, cane or coil") bannetons AKA
brotform, brotforme, bread mold,  for $11-30 depending where you buy
them (est, from memory).  These are not woven but the thick willow
cane is fastened edge to edge without verticle staves,  and the large
diameter of the wood coil leaves a nice imprint on the finished
loaf.  You can google bannneton for sources.

The substitutes I have found and used, from Pottery Ridge, Cost Plus
etc, are wicker, smaller diameter weave material, reed, cane,
flexible willow twig, etc  (1/8 in dia.), not tightly woven, and
woven in a typical stave-weave.    They do not leave a "nice
pattern," but serve the purpose of supporting a "soft-I want to
flatten" dough during the final rise.  I line with plastic film or
tight woven tea towel dusted with rice flour.   These oval to round,
5 inch to 8+ inch diameter baskets cost about $2 each.

Gary/Houston