Experiment storing sourdough culture in stainless steel

"Gary Van Gelder" <gvangelder@earthlink.net>
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 07:04:11 -0500
v107.n023.15
Storing sourdough culture in stainless steel for 3 months did not
harm or change culture.

I am an experimentalist by nature.  Some suggest to the extent of
compulsive obsession!!!!  Okay, I will spend $20 to make or prove a
point, or just to find out!!!  Starting taking things apart at an
early age to see what made them tick and at 66 am just as
curious.  Like all of you, I have the references that say metal is
bad for your SD culture, toxic, inhibitory etc.  Like many things
evolving out of the old arts, crafts and folklore of life, some
things just need to be taken with a grain or more of salt!  Anyway,
worked in the chemical and oil industry where many exotic metals are
used in corrosive environments including various types and grades of
stainless steel.  It just did not add up that food grade stainless
steel could be attacked by the relatively mild (on the big scale of
acidity) acidity of a biological sourdough could do much damage to
stainless steel. Therefore, here was the experiment.  Purchased a set
of 3 stainless steel canisters, intended for food from the
food/camping section of a sporting goods store.  I am more likely to
be in a store that sells fishing tackle than one that sells baking
and cooking supplies and tools.  Split my sourdough starter (origin
Sourdough International, San Francisco strain) in half, keeping half
in the usual Ziplock rigid qt plastic container with screw on tops
and 1/2 into the stainless steel (SS-SD).  Feed the SS-SD every 2
weeks for 3 months.  Relatively long time between feedings to let it
get good and acidic in the fridge.  Then this week baked my usual 70%
white-30% rye/whole wheat combo bread with the SS-SD.  It was as sour
and flavorful as ever.  There was no, like none, change in flavor,
texture, proofing or baking characteristics.  The next day I baked
with the starter from the Ziplock.  No difference.  Cleaned out the
SS container.  Shiny, smooth surface inside, absolutely no evidence
of pitting, scaling, oxidation, degradation or any other applicable
term.  Just like the other 2 unused canisters.  Clean, shiny in
original condition.  The only negative was the lids were SS also and
very tight fitting; sourdough concrete makes lid removal
difficult.  Now, let us put the stainless steel mythology aside when
we worry about contact of our cultures with metals.  I do not have
any uncoated old steel pots around with which to test the folklore further.

[Also posted at: http://www.bakersforums.com/index.php and
bakingfun@mail.otherwhen.com
Archived at: http://www.otherwhen.com/mailman/private/bakingfun/
Register for mailing list and access to archive at
http://www.otherwhen.com/mailman/listinfo/bakingfun
]

Dr. G.
gvangelder@earthlink.net