Communion bread

Pat Hawn <phawn1@cox.net>
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:50:10 -0400
v107.n010.8
I'm in charge of providing Communion bread for my church.  I've baked
sourdough, purchased French baguettes, Italian, Hawaiian and many
other breads.  We do "intinction" (also called "rip and dip"), so the
bread has to hold up to the grape juice.  Every type of bread I have
tried either disappears in the juice or leaves a LOT of crumbs on the
floor of the sanctuary.  It's gotten to be almost a joke.  A few
months ago I made sourdough.  It turned out to be very tough to
tear.  When the pastor handed me the loaf so I could pull off a
piece, she said "May God give you strength!"  It was all I could do
to not burst out laughing.  So, what kind of breads do you
suggest?  (We don't insist that it be unleavened.)  Or, how can I get
my sourdough to not be so chewy?

Pat Hawn
home baker and webmaster of www.ccuvab.org
Virginia Beach, VA