Re: bakeries in France

Edmund Sears <ehsears@ncia.net>
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 06:11:41 -0500
v107.n005.2
At 02:55 AM 1/29/2007, Bill Heffron wrote:

>I'm planning a trip to France and hope to visit some
>bakeries.  Within this audience are there bakers who have traveled
>France and could share an experience or porvide a recommendation?

Bill:

Try to find a copy of ":Cherchez le pain: Le guide des meilleures
boulangeries de Paris" by Steven L. Kaplan. Unfortunately, it is out
of print but you might be able to find a copy in a used book store in Paris.

I have used this book as a guide twice in the past year. You can't go
wrong visiting the two highest ranked bakeries, both of which are on
rue Monge in the 5e arrondissement:

Maison Kayser
8, rue Monge

Le Boulanger de Monge
Dominique Saibron
123, rue Monge

I have not yet made it to Poilâne but plan to next trip when I will
visit La manufacture de Bièvres, outside Paris, a unique circular
structure of 24 wood fired ovens, each with its own mixer and each
manned individually by a baker. In effect, 24 copies of the original
bakery while preserving its unautomated methods,at 8, rue du
Cherche-Midi (6e) in Paris, which is still there.