re: no-knead bread

"Lois Omdahl" <loiso43779@olynet.com>
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 16:11:04 -0800
v107.n003.15
I've had wonderful luck with the no-knead bread, until I tried Mr.
Foess' variation of putting the dough directly into a cold covered
pot.  I have been using a Lodge cast iron chicken fryer and have had
great luck.  Have not had to grease the pan, the bread never stuck
and the crust was great.  However, when I put the dough directly into
the cold pan, I think the dough must have created enough moisture
during the rise to stick, because I could not remove it for the last
half hour of browning.  I left it in the pot and when I tried to
remove the loaf, it was a chore.  Eventually I was able to pry it out
. In the past, using a hot pan, the loaf just fell out.

I do like using the cold pot for the reasons mentioned and wonder if
greasing the pot or putting a circle of parchment on the bottom would
help.  Any other suggestions?  Love the bread and the method.

Lois Omdahl
Shelton, WA