No Knead Bread

"D. Beeckler" <dmbeeckl@scrtc.com>
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 07:34:08 -0600
v106.n047.1
I hate to post such bad news since there were so many good reports
about the No Knead Bread.  I tried it and it was awful.  Perhaps I
did something incorrectly.  I used white-wheat flour and a little
extra yeast (because how could 1/4 tsp be enough :).  I noticed there
was no sugar at all - what feeds those little yeasties? - So I added
some - not much.  I placed it above my freezer which is where I raise
all my bread.  After 24 hours there was still very few bubbles and
just a little increase in size.  So I dumped it on the counter and
lots of liquid ran all over.  I added more flour to pull it all
together, plopped it in the  bowl - oh well -  followed the rest of
the directions and wound up with a less than desirable result -
little rise and kind of a sour taste.

What is the problem?  #1 I used rapid rise yeast, it works every
where else, why not here, #2 How can you handle already risen dough
and put it in a hot pan and #3 Shouldn't there be some sugar or some
other sweet in it?

D. Beeckler