Water Bath Proofing Box Problem and Solution

"Gerald Ulett" <tusko45@hotmail.com>
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:59:42 -0800
v106.n044.9
In addition to baking, I make yogurt using 5 gallons of milk at a
time. After looking at the proofing box picture and comment last
week, it occurred to me that in addition to proofing dough, it would
be an almost perfect box for incubating yogurt for the six or so
hours which it takes at about 108 degrees. I already had nearly
everything needed, except for the two plastic bins. Target had a
large selection including some smaller ones which would work well for
my use, so I bought them, took them home and set up the incubator.

Unfortunately, the bins which I bought did not have flat bottoms, but
rather bottoms which created a slight dome inside. What happens is
that the water in the bottom container is not in contact with the
bottom of the upper container because there is air trapped between them.

Today, I bought two different containers with flat bottoms and will
try them for incubating yogurt soon. I see no reason why they will
not work and in as much as I bought fairly large ones this time, they
should work for proofing dough too.

Incidentally, I use a reptile tank thermostat for temperature control
and monitor the temperature in the upper container. I also place a
small battery operated fan in the upper container for better air circulation..

Jerry Ulett in Seattle