Problems with dough rising in a kitchen open to a family room

Terry Vlossak <tvlossak@yahoo.com>
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 08:30:32 -0700 (PDT)
v106.n040.2
I've read many of the suggestions for the person with this problem,
and they're all good ones.  What I haven't read, and please forgive
me if I missed it, was anyone telling her that her rolls will,
eventually, rise, draft or no draft.  As long as yeast isn't dead,
dough will rise.  In the case of dinner rolls, these normally take
longer anyway because they're usually handled so much during the shaping phase.

As a pastry chef, I've made dough, raised it and baked it in a number
of environments and methods, from same-day bread to 3-day bread.  My
experience is that a longer rise makes for a better bread, as long as
the dough does not over-proof.

Many thanks to the person who posted the suggestion of an overnight
rise:  I love the idea, and am working on the proper amount of yeast
to achieve that in my breads.

To the person who bought Wheat Montana flour:
congratulations!  You've bought a high-quality flour, and I'm sure
you'll love the results.  I've used it for many years.  I prefer its
finer grind.  Use it in the same proportion as you would any other
whole wheat flour, making sure your dough is still tacky when you knead it.

Thanks to this list for some great recipes and much good advice.

Bake on!
Terry