New England Hot Dog Bun

"Ken Vaughan" <kvaughan@acsalaska.net>
Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:08:43 -0800
v106.n030.10
For a novelty bread I got one of the new england hot dog bun pans
from King Arthur folks.  I thought it would give a "lobster roll"
kind of bread. While lobsters do not grow here in the left coast,
there are other good things like dungeness crabs instead.

The pan comes with a recipe for a potato bread that promised to be
high hassle.  Here is my adaptation.  My youngest son was back for
the 4th of July and advised after eating about 2 loaves that it was a
great bread.  I use a 2 pound bread machine to make a high hydration
soft dough and then bake in the oven.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Kens New England Hot Dog Bread - Bread machine knead - bake in New England
Hot Dog pan

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    :

   3               cups  bread flour -- 12 3/4 ounces
   2        tablespoons  sugar -- or honey or non-diastolic malt
      1/4           cup  dry milk
      1/4           cup  potato flour -- or 1/3 cup potato flakes
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt -- up to 2 teaspoons
   2        tablespoons  ground flax seed -- Golden preferred
   2        tablespoons  butter -- or margarine
      1/4           cup  oil
   2 1/2      teaspoons  dry yeast
   2               each  eggs
   1                cup  water -- up to 1 1/4 cup

Put ingredients into bread machine pan in order recommended for the
bread machine.  Run through the dough cycle, adding additional liquid
or flour to get a soft dough with high hydration

Oil the new england hot dog bun pan (from King Arthur Baking Store)
and put dough into the pan smoothing it to an even height.

Rise until about even with the top of the pan.  Bake 30 minutes in a
350-375 F oven.  Test with instant read thermometer for 185 F
internal temp or higher.

I usually allow it to rise in the oven and just turn on the oven (my
oven does not use the broiler to preheat).

This pan creates a set of rectangular buns with indentations on the
bottom. Separate on the indentations, cut 2/3 through and stuff with
lobster salid for the classic lobster roll.  Deviled ham, cheese, etc
are also good fillers.

   "makes a 2 pound loaf of soft moist sandwich bread"