buns and La Cloche

"L Shaw" <lshaw@shasta.com>
Sun, 23 Jul 2006 07:54:27 -0700 (PDT)
v106.n030.5
Bryan, thanks for sharing the buns recipe, I'm looking forward to trying it!

I have a question for Lloyd:

Lloyd Davis said:
"I have used the long and the round La Cloche pots for years. They
produce a much better crunchy dark crust than conventional oven
baking. I proof the dough in the pot bottom with the cover off in my
oven. The oven is a steamy 80 - 90 degrees, that I achieve by putting
a low pan of 2 cups of insta hot water under the pot with a plexiglas
cover on top. When risen, I remove water and plexiglas, score dough,
cover with the pot top, and turn on the oven..."

Do you really mean you put the steam pan in the oven with a top on
it? How does the steam get out? Sorry to be dense on this one, but
your "crusty" description is tempting, and I want to really
understand how you're achieving it! Thanks for clarifying!

Laura Shaw
Shasta County, CA