question

Marie Tehas <tehas@icarus.sfbr.org>
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:40:08 -0500
v106.n026.5
I don't think I've posted to this list ever, although I've been a
member for a long time and read it with interest when I have the
time.  I am an avid bread-baker, and fairly experienced, but I had
something happen recently that I can't explain based on my
knowledge.  (This email constitutes my research into the subject.)  8^

I recently baked a recipe for french bread that I've used many times
before.  This time, when I baked it, the smell that emanated from my
oven was not the wonderful, yeasty smell of baking bread, but
instead, a pungent, vinegar-y odor.  Not bad necessarily, but
certainly not normal.  It didn't appear to affect the taste of the
finished bread, though.  I noted it as an oddity, but then forgot
about it, since the bread tasted as usual.  This weekend, I made a
wonderful multi-grain loaf from the pages of Cook's Illustrated, and
again, the odor of vinegar.

I wonder if one of you good folks might be able to explain  why this
might be happening?

Much thanks,

Marie Tehas