RE: Mixers

"Leigh" <leigh@leighd.net>
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 07:46:00 -0700
v106.n024.4
Yes, I bought the Viking mixer through King Arthur Flour when they
had were offering free shipping.  I had been wanting one for years
but had balked at spending $500 on a mixer.  I'd heard such wonderful
things about it; I was very excited at being able to upgrade.

I took it out of the box, plugged it in, and made two batches of
bread within about a week.  It made a dreadful noise and died on the
second batch. I thought I must have gotten a lemon.  They were great
about sending someone out to pick it up at their expense.  The second
one (a replacement as they were unable to repair the first one)
arrived a week later, and died with the first batch of bread.  Oh
please!  For $500, I don't think so.  I'll stick with my KitchenAid 5
quart.  Mine isn't a Hobart but it is a good workhorse. I've only had
it repaired once (I put WAY too much dough in it), and I told the
repair shop I used it for kneading bread dough.  I also use mine for
grinding chicken meat and uncooked bones (using the food grinder
attachment, of course).

I push mine hard, and it has served me well.  I couldn't believe how
poorly the Viking performed.  When I called KA Flour to return it,
the woman with whom I spoke said she had a KA too.

Leigh