spelt berries

Sue Hermosillo <sueherm@pacbell.net>
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 07:23:06 -0700 (PDT)
v106.n017.4
I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post a non-bread recipe, but
Beverly asked.  [[Not usually, but we'll let this one slip through
the filter. :)]]  Spelt berries need long cooking, but they make a
great hot breakfast cereal.  I make them several times a week.  First
soak them in water to more than cover for at least 8 hours.  I start
a full day ahead and soak during the day then drain and cook them
overnight in the crockpot.  Here's my recipe:

1 c. spelt berries, soaked
2 small apples, corred and chopped in about a half inch dice
1/4 c. raisins
1 c. soymik (you could use cow milk, I think, but I've never tried it)
4 T. flaxseed meal
3 c. water
a healthy sprinkle of cinnamon

Lightly oil the inside of your crockpot.  Mix everything in the
crockpot and cook on high overnight.  If you leave out the flaxseed
meal, reduce the water by half to a third cup.

   Sue H.