Re: Yeast rolls

Epwerth15@aol.com
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:11:21 EST
v106.n005.6
Ansley, here is a recipe that I've been using for quite
a  while.  I'm not sure of the source, it may even have been from
this list.  This makes about 4 dz. rolls so you may want to cut it in
half the first time to see if you like them.

HAY HAND ROLLS
1 pkg. dry yeast
1 c. lukewarm water (<90F)
1 tbl. salt
1 tbl. sugar
3 c. water
4 c. flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 c. shortening (I use 3/4 c. butter)
1 c. sugar
6 c. (approximately) all-purpose flour

Combine yeast and the 1 c. lukewarm water.   When this is dissolved,
stir in salt, 1 tbl. sugar, 3 c. water and 4 c. flour.  Beat well until bubbly.

Cover & set aside at room temp. for several hours or overnight.

After sponge has set (rose & collapsed), add  the beaten eggs,
shortening (or butter), 1 c. sugar and enough flour to make a soft
dough.  Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth &
elastic.  Place in a greased bowl (very large) and let rise until
double.  Punch down & place in refrigerator overnight.

Punch down daily unless you're using all of the dough.  Remove the
dough, or portion thereof from the fridge and let stand for 1 hour at
room temp.  Form into rolls & put on a greased or parchment-lined
baking pan.  (I form 2 oz. balls & put them close together so that
they remain soft when baked).  Let rise until double.  Bake at 400F
for 15 to 20 minutes, or till nicely browned.

You can make brown-and-serve rolls also.   After you have formed the
rolls, let rise until 3/4 as high as you want (do not let them
double).  Bake at 275F fir 40 minutes.  This sets the dough  but does
not completely bake them.  Store in the fridge for a short time, or
feeze then wrap well for longer storage.  Thaw if frozen & bake at
425F for 8 - 9 minutes.

You can also freeze the fully baked rolls.

Evie Werthmann