Re: Yeast rolls for freezing

Debunix <debunix@well.com>
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:33:36 -0600
v106.n005.5
You don't need a special recipe, because most plain sandwich-type
breads make excellent rolls.    Just take your favorite sandwich
bread, take one loaf's worth, divide it into 8 pieces, and shape into
rolls. Depending on what kind of rolls you like--square ones with a
crusty top and soft sides start as simple rounds, crowded together in
something like an 8x8 inch brownie pan; braided rolls require rolling
each piece of dough into a long rope, and either looping it around on
itself to braid it as a single strand, or dividing into 2 pieces, 1/3
and 2/3 of the total length, pinching together at the top, braiding
and pinching again at the bottom; etc.  Let them rise as you normally
would, but bake them hotter--375-400 F.  Small separate braided rolls
may be done in 20 minutes, and a pan of plain rolls that have merged
together pretty completely may take closer to 40 minutes.

I'd freeze them after baking them completely, because it's simpler to
gauge readiness for baking and baking times when you're not adding in
the complication of a cold step.  I bake a lot of rolls--more of them
than larger loaves by far--and haven't yet found any that were a
problem  when freezing the baked rolls and zapping in the microwave
to warm them up.

Hope that helps.

Diane Brown in St. Louis

http://www.well.com/user/debunix/recipes/FoodPages.html