Re: Dried Sourdough Starter

Alan Woods <woods.1@osu.edu>
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:36:45 -0500
v106.n005.2
In v106.n004.9, RisaG <radiorlg@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I was cleaning out my baking closet (I made onen of the cabinets in
>my kitchen just for baking) today and found a baggie that says "Dry
>Sourdough Starter" in it and I don't remember when i received it and
>how old it is.
>
>I was wondering how to tell if it is still good? If it is, how to use it?

Just mix the old starter with a cup of water and a cup of flour, and
see what happens; dried sourdough should last a long time--indeed, Ed
Wood's wonderful book about sourdough has many adventures with dried
sourdough and reconstituting it.  If it works, great.  If ;not, just
toss it out!

Alan

Alan Woods
Ann Alaia Woods
Columbus, Ohio

theatre, historic preservation, book arts
alan0198@yahoo.com
aimiaart@peoplepc.com