English Muffins

RisaG <radiorlg@yahoo.com>
Sun, 4 Sep 2005 20:01:44 -0700 (PDT)
v105.n038.7
This is the recipe I used (from the Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook) -

For 1.5 to 2 lb machine

1 1/2 cups fat-free milk, I used 2%
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 lg egg
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp SAF yeast OR
2 1/4 tsp bread machine yeast
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal, or semolina flour

Place all ingredients in the pan according to the order in the
manufacturers' instructions. Program for dough cycle. Press Start.
The dough ball will be soft and very slightly moist. The softer you
leave the dough, the lighter the muffins. You can always add a bit
more flour when you remove the dough from the machine.

Lightly sprinkle the work surface with cornmeal or semolina (I used
semolina). When the machine beeps at the end of the cycle, press Stop
and unplug the machine. Turn the dough out onto the work surface and,
with a rolling pin, roll into a rectangle about 1/2" thick. Sprinkle
the top with cornmeal to prevent sticking while rolling. Cut out the
muffins with a 3" biscuit cutter or glass. Roll out the trimmings and
cut out the remaining muffins. Cover with a clean tea towel.

Preheat an electric griddle to 350 degrees F to 375 degrees F or heat
a cast iron stovetop griddle over MED heat until a drop of water
sprinkled on the griddle dances across the surface. Lightly grease
the surface (I used some butter).

Immediately place several muffins on the hot griddle. Cook for about
10 minutes on each side, turning them when they are quite brown.
English muffins take time to bake all the way through, and they will
swell and be very puffy while baking. Remove the muffins from the
griddle with a spatula and let cool on a rack.

Risa's notes:

I used over a cup of whole wheat flour in place of some of the
all-purpose flour. So it was 3 cups of all-purpose flour and 1 1/2
cups of whole wheat, I think.

Make sure to set the machine for Dough Cycle but only let it mix
until the dough is all combined and in a ball. No more than that or
they will not come out right - there won't be nooks and crannies to
hold all that butter!

Makes 1 dozen 3 inch muffins (my batch made 16)

RisaG