Re: Rye Krisp/RyKrisp/RyVita - Rye Crispbread recipe found

LAllin@aol.com
Sat, 3 Sep 2005 23:08:45 EDT
v105.n038.5
LAllin@aol.com wrote:
>I don't have a recipe but ...
>The sole ingredients in the Light variety are whole rye and
>salt.  The website says twice baked, so I think the Light variety
>would be very easy to duplicate with a little experimentation.

I have located a recipe that is close; the big difference is that
this recipe contains a bit of fat that the commercial products do not
use.  A little experimentation might yield a usable recipe leaving
the fat out.  To more closely duplicate the commercial versions,
perhaps you could make it with water, leaving out the fat and
herbs.  If they are not crisp after cooling, bake again, since the
commercial versions are "twice baked".

* Exported from MasterCook *

                 Fiddlesticks Julie's Rye Crispbread Recipe

Recipe By     :
Categories    :

   8             ounces  rye flour
   2             ounces  margarine or butter
   1           teaspoon  dried herbs
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
   4        tablespoons  milk or water

Rub the margarine in to the flour and stir in the herbs and salt.

Stir in the water and mix to a firm dough.

Divide the dough in to two halves.

Knead each half lightly on a floured surface.

Roll each half out thinly in to about a 9" square.

Thinly is the operative word, or they're rather chewy.

Cut in to 3" squares and put on to a lightly greased baking sheet.

Prick each square well to prevent it from rising and bubbling during baking.

Bake at 200 C (Approx 390 F) for 10 to 15 minutes or until the edges
just begin to colour, but do not let them brown.

Cool slightly on the baking sheet then transfer to wire racks.

S(Internet Address):
   "http://www.recipezaar.com/113283";
Start to Finish Time:
   "0:35"