English Muffin request

Gloria J Martin <ggmartin2@juno.com>
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:58:43 -0500
v105.n036.16
I've enjoyed reading through the e-mail each week, and do find
answers to questions and recipes I'm interested in. I've also
occasionally tried to help answer a question. Today I have a request.

We lived in Kansas City, MO for 48 years. During most of that time
there were a few gourmet groceries called Wolferman's. They only
carried items that were considered the best. The also had a bakery,
and were famous for their English Muffins. Once you've had a
Wolferman's English Muffin, you are spoiled for any other brand. They
rose higher and had deeper holes for the butter to melt into, and
were just really special. They closed a few years before we moved to
Texas, where we are now. One of the men who had been a baker for them
bought the equipment and the right to the recipe, and they are still
made. Most of the stores in Kansas City have them in packages of 6 in
their freezer case. They are available in a few other stores outside
of Kansas City in the freezer case also.

The only clue I have as to why their muffins were so special and
different from others is that I read an article one time in which the
Wolferman manager said that they were the only English Muffins that
used beaten egg whites in the batter.

I really didn't care to make them as long as I could readily buy
them, but here in Texas I've only found them at one particular store.

Does anyone have a recipe that they believe to be an authentic
Wolferman English Muffin, with the beaten egg whites in the batter? I
would love to know how to do it.

Thanks.
Gloria Martin ggmartin2@juno.com